Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Two For One...

No, I’m not reviewing another omnibus. I’ve gotten so far behind in writing my review for Rakkety Tam that I’ve already finished Necroscope Three: The Source. So, I’m going to write reviews for both of them.

As you know—assuming you’ve read my other reviews—I’m a big fan of Brian Jacques’ Redwall series. I haven’t been too impressed with some of the more recent books in the series, however. Because of this, I wasn’t entirely certain whether or not this would be a good one. Luckily, it was.

This is one of my favorite books in the series. The villains in this one are definitely nasty; they’re cannibals! The titular hero of this book is a squirrel with a Scottish accent and a feisty temper. He is also the most interesting Redwall Champion that we’ve seen in years. You’ll also find all of the classic Redwall elements: riddles, songs, and of course, the feasts.

This book is highly recommended for the young and the young at heart. I give it 5 yo-yos.





Besides being a fan of Redwall, I’ve also recently become a fan of Brian Lumley’s Necroscope series. This is also a great book in a great series, though part of the jacket description is slightly misleading:

When Jazz Simmons, a British agent sent to infiltrate the base, is captured by the KGB ESP-ionage squad and forced through the portal, his last message tells Harry Keogh, necroscope, that the vampires are preparing for a mass invasion.

Jazz Simmons doesn’t send Harry a message; they don’t even know each other. Also, The vampires aren’t planning an invasion.

Other than that, this is a great story. Harry is a very interesting character, and he is much more of a presence in this story than he was in the previous novel. Also, there are several surprise plot twists that will keep you guessing.

Brian Lumley really knows how to write great horror. I give it 5 yo-yos.






Up next, I’m reading Orson Scott Card’s Lost Boys, which has absolutely nothing to do with the movie of the same name.

No comments: