Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Necroscope (And Some Other Guys Too)

Ok, so I did pick up something at Borders that I decided to read first: Brian Lumley's Harry Keogh: Necroscope and Other Weird Heroes. As you may know, if you've looked at my older posts, I like the Necroscope books. Since I last reviewed one, I've read the series up to volume five, which is the last part of the regular series.

This is a short story collection. It contains three Necroscope stories, three Titus Crow stories, and two Dreamlands stories. While I have read Lumley's Necroscope books, I haven't read any of his other stuff; not because I don't want to, but because my local bookstores don't carry them, which is a shame. From reading these short stories, I think I would like the other series as well.

The Necroscope stories are "Dead Eddy," "Dinosaur Dreams," and "Resurrection." One good point about these stories is that, unlike the novels, Harry doesn't fight vampires in any of them. It's a nice change of pace to see him doing something else. I really enjoyed "Dead Eddy" and "Dinosaur Dreams," though I thought they were both perhaps a trifle long. " didn't like Resurrection though, "I just thought it was weird and boring.

I also though that the first Titus Crow story, "Inception," was boring. It makes me believe that secret origin stories should be saved for masked vigilantes and super heroes. The other two Crow stories were much better. I really enjoyed "Lord of the Worms," and I thought "Name and Number" was pretty good too.

The Dreamlands stories were fairly different from the rest. They were more like straight up fantasy as opposed to the horror/weird fiction feel of the Crow and Necroscope ones. Still, I like fantasy, and these stories, which seem to be set in the dreamland of H. P. Lovecraft, are very good. The heroes are very heroic, and the stories themselves are reminiscent of the dream tales of Dunsany and Lovecraft.

I have to give this book 4 yo-yos, because I really didn't like those two stories, but the rest were great. Up next will probably be what I told you I'd read this time.




No comments: