Monday, June 26, 2006

Mirror Mirror on My Face...

I picked up a copy of the Mirrormask DVD at K-Mart the other day, and I finally got around to watching it. Seeing as how Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean, and the Jim Henson Company were involved, I expected to be stunned, and I was--visually anyway. I'm not so sure about the plot.

The opening scenes, set in the real world, were very boring. Sure, they set up the plot, but still, I just kept hoping the movie would hurry up and get to the good stuff. Once we get to the dream world, or whatever it was, things do pick up. People get attacked by shadows and sphinxes. There are flying books and flying towers. There are queens and evil twins.

I really didn't like the ending at all. Sorry, Neil, but "She woke up and found that it had all been a dream," is never a good ending. Tacking on an "or was it?" doesn't really improve things at all.

Still, as I said, the movie is visually stunning. This makes it well worth seeing despite the surprisingly weak plot. I'll give it 3.5 out of 5 helpful books.


No comments: