Friday, September 22, 2006

Keepin' It Real

Okay, so I read another F. Paul Wilson Book: The Keep. Wow, this is a great book.

The plot is about a bunch of WWII German soldiers who take over a place called the Keep to use as a fort. One of them accidentally releases an ancient evil and it begins killing them. They call for help and some SS goons show up. The Nazis drag in a Jewish scholar and his daughter to figure out what's going on.

I do seem to vaguely recall seeing the movie that was based on this book. I also remember that I didn't like it all that much, but I loved the book. It has a hell of a lot going for it.

The atmosphere in The Keep is genuinely creepy and menacing. Then there are the characters; they are presented very realistically. I actually cared what happened to the Jews. I hated the Nazis and the monster. I even had a grudging respect for Woermann, the leader of the soldiers (who was not actually a Nazi). The monster was genuinely scary. The writing is superb.

If you haven't read this book, do it now. You can get a copy for $4.99, which is a damn good price. I give The Keep a full Five yo-yos.

Five Yo-yos

No comments: