Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis

I managed to get  a copy of Star Wars: Darth Plagueis from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program. Mind you, it wasn't all that early a review since the book didn't arrive until March and was published in December. In any case, I haven't really read a whole lot of the Star Wars novels. I have seen the movies though, and I do like science fiction, so this wasn't totally out of my usual area of reading. Really, it was a pretty good book.

For one thing, after reading this, I found that the prequel movie trilogy made a lot more sense to me. The novel is basically a prequel to the prequels. It is mostly the story of the rise to power of Darth Sidious, aka Palpatine aka the Emperor in the original movie trilogy.

This book explains a lot. We see why the Trade Federation attacked Naboo. We see why there is an army of clones conveniently waiting for the Jedi. We see where Darth Maul came from and why Dooku went over to the dark side. We see how a young girl got elected queen of a planet. We even find the probable reason for why the Force caused Anakin Skywalker to be born with no father.

This was a good book, and it even made me want to go back and read some of the Star Wars novels set even farther in the past so I can get a better grasp of the bigger back story.



No comments: