Monday, November 06, 2006

Brotherhood of the Wolf, by David Farland

I just finished Brotherhood of the Wolf. As you may recall, when I reviewed The Runelords last week, I said that I thought there were some problems with the first book, but that the series showed promise. After reading this book, I decided I was right; this one is better than the first one.

The first book in the series was a bit slow in the beginning. This one started with lots of action. You've got horrible Reavers sprouting up like weeds, going around, and killing everybody. They're pretty cool and nasty monsters. There's also a thing called a Darkling Glory which seemed kind of cool too.

The characters are gaining more depth, and poor Raj Ahtlan (the villain) seeems to be turning into a total nutjob. There are new enemies popping up in the form of the wind mages. There are new heroes. Really, I just liked this book a lot.

The only thing that annoys me is the constant misuse of the word sirrah, which as anyone who has read Shakespeare (or looked a Websters Online dictionary) knows means "used as a form of address implying inferiority in the person addressed." Farland seems to use it as a comlpiment or something. Sheesh! It's not much, but it really bugs me.

Even with that, I do like this book. I give Brotherhood of the Wolf four and a half yo-yos.


No comments: