Friday, July 21, 2006

The Final Garrett Omnibus

I just finished with Glen Cook's Garrett on the Case, which is the last of the Garrett omnibuses (unless Cook writes more Garrett books).

As usual, I loved it. I'm not really sure why I love the Garrett books. It's probably the combination of fantasy and mystery. The first novel in the omnibus, Angry Lead Skies is actually a science fantasy mystery,, I suppose, as it features aliens in flying saucers causing Garrett all kinds of trouble. The second novel, Whispering Nickel Idols, has Garrett trying to save Chodo Contague, the local crime boss, while simultaneously fighting off an evil cult that has really bad taste in pants.

That's another thing I like about the Garrett books: the humor. Where else would you find a cult that's easily identifiable because it's members all wear green plaid pants? There's also lots of wise cracks, and Garret's often comical first person narration. And then there's his problem with women.

I'm not really sure how a man who's getting on in years, who's out of shape, and who gets beat up so regularly that he can't possibly be handsome anymore gets so many women to fall in love with him. He's got Tinnie Tate, the vivacious red head, Belinda Conague, the psychotic crime lord, Pular Singe, the rat girl, a trio of ETs, a pixie, and dozens more in the previous books. I wish I had those kinds of problems. Sigh.

I wasn't completely satisfied with the ending of the second novel, and I kept getting the various groups of ETs confused in the first one, but other than that I had no complaints. I give this one 4.5 yo-yos.

No comments: