Friday, August 25, 2006

Defiled and yet Defiant

Anyway, on tho Brian Lumley's Necroscope: Defilers. This is the second book in the E-Branch Trilogy, and I liked it more than the first one. Mostly, I think, because there are far fewer references to the Vampire World Trilogy (which I haven't read yet).

This book sees Jake cutter, the new Necroscope, finishing his vendetta against Luigi Casellano, who--surprise, surprise--it turns out is really a vampire. He's the blood son of one of the mafia vampires from Necroscope: The Lost Years. Luckily, Jake realizes the full extent of his Necroscopic abilities and calls up the dead to finish off the undead vampires. Meanwhile, the rest of E-Branch is fighting a bunch of vampire nuns on a Greek island.

It sounds kind of silly, but it's very good. I could hardly put this one down. This is a very great book, and--despite the fact that I'm not reading it next--I'm really looking forward to the third book in the series. The only thing that I didn't like was the chronology, which confused me a little bit.

You see, the other Necroscope books are mostly set in the 1980s, but the E-Branch books are set in the near future (2011, I think). Still it's a minor matter, and won't stop from giving Necroscope: Defilers 4.5 yo-yos.



No comments: