Thursday, August 10, 2006

Where Does The Time Go?

I didn't even realize that I haven't posted for four days until just now. If I had, there probably would have been something else here yesterday or the day before. In any case, it's time for my review of Brian Lumley's Necroscope: The Lost Years.

If you've read my previous posts, you know I like the Necroscope series. The only real problem I have with the series is that the Necroscope is just too powerful; He can learn just about anything by talking to the dead, he can get the dead to rise up to save him, he can travel anywhere instantly through the "Möbius Continuum," and in the later books (though not this one) he ended up getting all kinds of extra powers from other psychics. So, all of the books I've read have used one ploy or another to keep the Necroscope from using his powers to their fullest extent. This time around, it's a post-hypnotic suggestion that he isn't to reveal his powers to anyone.

In this book, Harry Keogh--the Necroscope--is fighting three groups of Wamphyri (vampires and werewolves). He seems to have fallen in love with a female werewolf, though he doesn't know she's a werewolf because of he mesmeric abilities. Her sire, the father of all werewolves, is trapped in amber (not the Zelany Amber, the rock), and she needs Harry's help to revive him. There are other Wamphyri causing trouble as well. There are two vampire/mafia don brothers and a vampiric Tibetan monk. All of the Wamphyri naturally want to kill each other.

Over all, I liked the book, but I don't like the fact that it's been chopped in half. I don't like it when books in a series don't stand on their own. This one has no real ending; the ending is the next book, Resurgence. I had been planning on reading Wodehouse's Jill the Reckless next, but now I'll have to read the next Necroscope book just to find out what happens. Sigh, half a good book gets 2 out of 2.5 yo-yos.

1 comment:

M Taher said...

Where time goes, i don't know. It is 3 am, Eastern Time, and I came next from bestest blog, to yours, click and click. And, serendipity, is up and it shows amazing things: You have already added bestest in your favorites.

Anyways. Now, I have cited you in deep links, at my blog:
Keep up the good work. Good begets good.
Best, Mohamed