Thursday, August 17, 2006

A little Recklessness can be a good thing


I've finished reading another P. G. Wodehouse book, Jill the Reckless. This is a much, much nicer edition than the version of Love Among the Chickens I reviewed a little while ago. That's not very surprising, since Love was a cheap edition put out by a vanity press or POD or something. Jill, on the other hand is a beautiful collector's edition put out by Overlook Press. (For some reason Amazon doesn't have a copy of the nice cover, so I'm including a picture of it that I downloaded from the publisher.)

Besides having a nice cover, the book is well put together, and surprisingly cheap (less than $20 for a hardcover). I definitely want to get more of the Overlook editions of Wodehouse, but unfortunately, all the other editions they have are of books I already own in other editions, so I'll have to wait. They are planning to republish all of Wodehouse's works, but they're currently doing it at a rate of two books per year, which means that by the time they're finished I'll be in my sixties or seventies.

Jill the Reckless is the story of Jill Mariner, a head strong young girl, who heads to America and becomes a chorus girl after she is dumped by her rich fiancee. As is always the case in Wodehouse stories, she meets the true love of her life and things end happily. It's a great book, and it's definitely one of the best Wodehouse books I've read outside of his Jeeves and Blandings series. I give it 5 yo-yos.

Up next, in fact quite possibly later tonight, I'll be reviewing Neil Gaiman's Coraline.


No comments: