Tuesday, August 29, 2006

FT#214

I've decided that since when I get a new issue of Fortean Times or Weird Tales, I always stop reading whatever book I'm book I'm reading--in this case Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell--I might as well write a review of each magazine issue. So, lets start with Fortean Times issue 214.

While it wasn't a bad issue, it certainly isn't my favorite of all time. The three feature articles are "Fox Tales," "Stoat Packs," and "Divine Monsters." Frankly, the only one I really enjoyed was "Fox Tales," which was about fox spirits/were-foxes/fox demons/etc. throughout world myth and folklore. "Stoat Packs" is a very short article on the rare phenomenon of stoats forming packs. "Divine Monsters" was about the castrati.

"Fox Tales" did provide lots of interesting folk tales about various encounters with fox creatures, which is probably why I liked it so much. "Stoat Packs," while short, did provide some information on dangerous encounters with stoat packs, but wasn't all that interesting. "divine Monsters" was full of interesting historical tidbits, but I"m not entirely sure what's Fortean about castrati.

The Fortean Bureau of Investigation and one of the forum pieces dealt with Alien Big Cats, which is at least somewhat interesting. The other forum piece was about werewolves and didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. The Hierophant's monthly rant seems to be on how conspiracy theorists are crazy and have no sense of humor. It's pretty funny, as usual. Other than that, I don't have much to say about the other regular features.


This issue gets 4 yo-yos.




No comments: