Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Brother to Dragons, Companion to Owls

I like Jane Lindskold's books. Her Child of a Rainless Year contained a preview of Brother to Dragons, Companion to Owls, one of her early works which has just been reprinted. I liked the excerpt so much I decided to pick it up.

It's kind of a strange story. It's about a girl named Sarah who is released from a mental hospital after some budget cuts. She can't talk except through quotations, but she does have a mysterious power; she can talk to inanimate objects. Sure I can talk to inanimate objects too, but she can understand what the objects are saying.

After her release Sarah joins a sort of street gang based on the wolf pack from The Jungle Books. Then an evil organization starts looking for her. It turns out they were responsible for creating her, and now they want her back.

I thought this was a really cool book with some great ideas behind it. I really liked the characters, too--especially Sarah. There's adventure and mystery. There are some nasty villains. There's a two-headed dragon. Really, I don't see how I could not like this book. I have to give Brother to Dragons, Companion to Owls five yo-yos.


No comments: