Saturday, October 14, 2006

Dun, Dun, Dun..sany

I finished reading Lord Dunsany's The Sword of Welleran and Other Stories yesterday. Dunsany was one of the great fantasy writers of the early twentieth century. I've been a fan of his since I first read his stuff.

This collection of twelve of Dunsany's short stories was originally published in 1908. This is a Dover reprint edition, which contains the complete text and illustrations from the original edition. My only complaint is that since it's so short--only 100 pages--and it's out of copyright, it's too darn expensive. $6.95 is a lot for a short, old book that the author doesn't get a cut of.

The stories are excellent. Dunsany is a master of descriptive prose. Sometimes he's a little too descriptive, like in "The Fall of Babbulkund," where I thought he spent way too much time describing this city of wonders. Still it is a good story, even so. All, the stories are imaginative and a pleasure to read. Anybody who likes fantasy should read Lord Dunsany's books.

I give The Sword of Welleran four and a half yo-yos. The only reason I didn't give it more, is because I thought it was a bit overpriced for such a small book.


No comments: