Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bizarro Fiction Month Day 18: They Had Goat Heads

It's day 18 of Bizarro Fiction Month, and since I'm doing the short fiction collections this week, I've decided to post a collection by D. Harlan Wilson today.

Quite frankly, I'm not really sure what to say about They Had Goat Heads.  This is a book of short stories that, I think,  is a bit more literary than the sort of stuff I usually read or review. Sure, being a bizarro book, it's a very weird sort of literary, but even so, I generally prefer my stories with a lot more action and/or humor. Not that this is bad, it is actually very good. It's just that it's the sort of good that I don't think I'm particularly good at commenting on, but since I'm trying to review every bizarro book I read, I'm going to comment anyway.

If you want to try bizarro, but want to avoid the over-the-top violence, juvenile humor, and general ickiness that is prevalent in bizarro, then this is probably the book for you. If you're looking for bizarro with real literary merit, then this is the book for you. If you're looking for a good collection of short stories, then, once again, this is the book for you.

You should probably just go ahead and give it a try.


No comments: