Monday, April 16, 2012

Bizarro Fiction Month Day 16: The Overwhelming Urge

It's now Day 16 of Bizarro Fiction Month. I've passed the halfway mark, and have decided that much of this week will be dedicated to a type of book I find hard to review: short story collections.

The Overwhelming Urge, by Andersen Prunty,  is  a collection of flash fiction, except for "Discovering the Shape of My Skull," which seems to be long enough to count as a short story. Anyway, writing a review of a flash fiction collection is hard for me, because I don't really know what to say about it.

I could just say that I like this book, but that's not much of a review. Most of the stories are so short that any discussion of what I liked about them would probably be longer than the story I was reviewing. The best I can say is that these stories are all really short, and range from kind of strange to really f-ing weird.

I did enjoy this, and if you aren't the sort of person to be bothered by the fact that this review is longer than many of the stories in the collection, I think you should give this a chance.



No comments: