Thursday, April 05, 2012

Bizarro Fiction Month Day 5: The Pickled Apocalypse of Pancake Island

Well now it's day 5 of Bizarro Fiction Moth here, an it's time to review another book. As with the other authors I've done so far, this one has another book that I'll be reviewing later on in the month, but in this case I've actually also reviewed one of his books previously. It's Cameron Pierce,  whose Cthulhu Comes to the Vampire Kingdom I reviewed back in January. Later on in the month, I'll post my review of Ass Goblins of Auschwitz, but for now, I'm reviewing The Pickled Apocalypse of Pancake Island.

This is one of the weirder bizarro books I've read. There's a world called Pancake Island, which is inhabited by sentient pancakes. Everyone is happy there, presumably because of the maple syrup. There's another planet that's inhabited by sentient pickles where everyone is miserable and unhappy, presumably because of the brine.  One day, a pickle called Gaston Glew builds a rocket ship to escape his life of misery, and ends up crashing on Pancake Island, where his briny nature threatens to bring about the titular "Pickled Apocalypse."

This story is just goofy. The pickles are all so whiny and miserably and the pancakes are so mindlessly happy, that it just makes me laugh. Also, if you've ever wondered what pickle/pancake sex would be like, this book will tell you. There is a surprising amount of violence for a book whose main characters are all animated foods. I really enjoyed it, and I'm certainly going to be picking up the rest of Pierce's books sooner or later.


No comments: