Saturday, April 07, 2012

Bizarro Fiction Month Day 7: Slub Glub in the Weird World of the Weeping Willows

As the first week of Bizarro Fiction Month draws to a close, it's time to do a review for a book that I didn't actually buy for myself, which as with the other books I reviewed on days 2-6, is by an author I'll be reviewing again later. My nephew's birthday is this month, and I decided that since Eraserhead has a children's bizarro imprint, I should get a children's bizarro book for my nephew.   Out of the various Spunk Goblin Titles, as the imprint is called, I chose Andrew Goldfarb's Slub Glub in the Weird World of the Weeping Willows based largely on the fact that it was cheap enough to qualify for Amazon's 4-for-3 offer, which enabled be to get other bizarro books including another Goldfarb book, Hypno-Hog's Moonshine Monster Jamboree. Naturally, I decided to read Slub Glub myself before I gave it away.

Slub Glub is a really cool book. I just love Goldfarb's illustrations. They are just so weird. The story itself is written in a very simple style, which isn't unexpected since it is written for children. I should also say that the story is also very strange and a bit complicated.

The story is about a bizarre, blue, blobby, mutant thing called Slub Glub. Slub Glub wakes up one morning and discovers that his forest has been flooded because the willows have been weeping. The willows are weeping because racoons have been climbing them at night and chewing on their leaves. The racoons have climbing the willows to escape from the hyena's mockery. The hyenas are mocking the racoons...well this would go on for quite a while with a long list of improbable occurrences triggering each other and I'm not going to list them all.  These weird happening cause Slub Glub and a willow tree called Willowmina to go on a quest to try and put things right.

I think that this would be a really great bizarro book for kids (and adults). I also think that adults should enjoy it, too. I'm definitely  going to get Andrew Goldfarb's other books.




No comments: